Saturday, June 14, 2014

soul collage



This seems like a good time to write.
Might as well since I didn't feel too motivated to do a lot of homework today.
Hopefully tomorrow is the day!
Friends from Minneapolis, Tim and Liz, are staying with us this weekend. 
They're in town for a wedding, but we got in some good hanging out as well. 
We made a big breakfast this morning, took them down to Bayview to a record store, and then to St. Francis Brewery for some Bloody Marys, beer samplers, and beer cheese soup. 
They're fun and entertaining folks.
This afternoon I gave Tim a haircut and french-braided Liz's hair for the wedding. 
I am full of skills that I just don't put to the test that often. 

Below are three "soul collages" that I made at the hospital's open studio on Friday. 
I have to be there 2-7 pm, so I had plenty of time to make them.
You basically have a smallish sheet of white cardstock, then you look through magazines and pick 3-5 images that you're attracted to (you're not supposed to think about it a whole lot, just pick), then arrange the pictures and glue. To finish it up you look at the imagery and write from the perspective "I am one who..." by filling in the rest of the sentence based off the images you chose. 
So I would think of the qualities and characteristics of flowers, fish, open sky, etc. and write about how I connect, represent or embody those characteristics. 
Kind of neat. 
Great for self-learning and introspection. 



No comments:

Post a Comment