Saturday, May 31, 2014

glorious wisconsin summer




I was so busy this last semester I didn't even realize how happy I would be to have decent weather this summer.
It's been gorgeous lately.
REAL spring weather. 
Hot sun with a cool breeze.
The inside of the house is still a livable temperature. 
I go biking almost every day. 
I sit on the porch with a beer and my assigned readings.
Friends occasionally call me up and we go to fun spots in Milwaukee (like the marina above). 
Even though things will be busying up, it's still won't be as bad as this last semester.

I'm starting to settle into my new practicum schedule, though it will probably change here and there based on different cancer survivorship events that we attend. 
But it's just so nice to consolidate my hours and only have practicum 3 days a week. 
The days can feel a little long, but I'm getting used to it. 
I love my supervisor. 
And I'm starting to understand what it means to be an art therapist in a hospital. 
Quite different from my last practicum. 
I was introduced to the managers on the oncology floor this last Friday, and it looks like that unit is about to become my territory. 
Pretty excited to make connections with the staff and get to work. 


In other news, the kitties are wonderful.


And we've been having some fantastic self-care lately. 

Last night I took Ben to 2 of my favorite new spots in the Bayview neighborhood.
Classic Slice...a tasty pizza place.
And Bryant's....a bar with no menu. You just tell the bartender what drinks and flavors you like, and then he makes you a fancy drink from a list of over 450. 
The atmosphere is partially what makes it so wonderful.
Super dark lit with a big ol' fish tank and jazz/oldies music. 


Speaking of self-care, I got my hair trimmed.
FINALLY found a lady that I'll be sticking with. 
Thanks to one of the EYM staff for recommending the place. 
THEN I went to Banana Republic and took advantage of a sale + rewards coupon.
Have a new dress for Jen and Frank's wedding on June 21. 
THEN I went to Valentine Coffee Roasters to read some of my 175 assigned pages in a calm, quiet atmosphere with a well-made cup of coffee.
I love Collectivo, but it can be pretty chaotic in there. 
Valentine doesn't even play music...so it's actually perfect for studying purposes.

Went on a 45-minute bike ride.

Ben made steaks.

Then we made mac and cheese in our new camping stove...just to test it out....because we're actually going camping at Mirror Lake State Park this next weekend. 

SO EXCITED to get out of the city...
even though I'll probably be taking my psychopathology books with me. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment