Tuesday, January 21, 2014

therapizing


I didn't have any new Instagram pictures for you, so I pulled an Instagram picture from my favorite Wichita florist...Beards Floral.
They have the most beautiful and unique arrangements. 

Productive Tuesday thus far!
Went to the post office to send some mail that has to travel to foreign countries.
Went to school to change my name to its correct form (remember that DMV debacle?). 
Checked out the fitness center. 
It was completely empty, so I lifted weights for awhile. 
And I'm happy to report that I set up my first therapy session with the school counselor.
I'm really quite excited.
Her name is Ellen, and she seems super nice.
I realized that I don't get my dose of "therapy" from coffee dates with my many female friends that I used to have around at Bethel (the majority happen to be social workers). 
For a moment I thought I might not mention that I was going to start seeing a counselor, but part of me becoming a therapist is to help de-stigmatize therapy. 
And that means talking about it. 
There isn't a problem...it's just preventative care. 
Like one does when you go to the doctor for a check up.
(Although the stress of this semester may create a problem.) :)
I also just finished reading a great novel for my upcoming Addictions class called "Broken" by William Cope Moyers. He was an alcoholic/cocaine addict/cancer survivor and makes some fascinating comparisons and distinctions between cancer and addiction as a disease, especially as far as responsibility and blame are concerned:

"When my doctor told me I had cancer, he didn't raise his eyebrows or wag a finger at me. I felt no shame or humiliation...When I told my family and friends that I had cancer, no one ever suggested that I gave myself the illness or that it was in any way my fault..." - W.C. Moyers

He now works on policy in St. Paul, MN and Washington D.C., trying to get proper funding for mental health care and advocating for addicts.
Really interesting stuff.

So on that note...take preventative measures and go get a counselor or therapist to keep your mental health in check...or don't. It's up to you. 

SO excited to start classes tomorrow, followed by a visual arts group meeting and my first detention center group for my internship. 

And now I need to get ready for my haircut.
I knew that if I didn't get one now I wouldn't have time for it again until May. 

No comments:

Post a Comment