Wednesday, October 30, 2013

illinois art therapy conference



Hello all.
Yes! Still alive!
The Illinois Art Therapy Conference was fabulous. My professor gave me special recognition in class for attending (because only one other person attended from MMU, and she LIVES in Chicago). 
It was super-informative/interesting, and I met a lot of great people. 
Art therapists are the nicest.
It was also held at SAIC (School of the Art Institute of Chicago), which has always kind of been my dream school.
But I'd have to say that much prefer MKE to Chicago. 
Way less traffic/people/buildings/allsmooshedtogetherjustlikethis. 
MKE has more space, and it costs less to park. A LOT LESS.

And really, the IATC was only a part of a VERY wonderful Chicago weekend.
Ben and I drove in after my practicum fair on Friday. 
Took 3 hours to drive 75-ish miles, because Chicago rush hour traffic is HORRIBLE.
Especially when there is an accident.
It slows everyone down.

But the view of the city is always breathtaking.

But we made it just in time to have a quick supper with Matt, and then off to The Bad Plus concert.
They're a jazz group that Ben adores, and they happened to be playing at University of Chicago...which is where Matt happens to be attending law school.
So he happened to get us $5 student tickets.
It was AMAZING!


The next morning I was up at 6:30 am to head off to SAIC for the conference.
We stayed with good college friend Kelly, who lives a few blocks from Wrigley field, and the Red Line (metro system).
It was a simple 5 minute walk + 25 minute metro ride + 5 minute walk to SAIC. 
SO CONVENIENT! 

Afterwards, I returned to Kelly's by metro and we took the car to meet Ben and other friends for supper.
Can we ALL be super proud of me for conquering anxiety issues and actually driving in Chicago on more than one occasion? 
Not so bad, but not super-fun either.
Anyway, Meredith, Blaire, Matt, Kelly, Ben and I all went to the Jason Isbell concert after eating Costa Rican food (which included an oatmeal milkshake and plantains). 
Everything in that sentence was unbelievably amazing. 
We drove/fought through Halloween crowds while trying to find parking afterwards...we're taking the train from now on. 
On Sunday morning we met all of the previous friends for brunch at Ann Sather's.
Known for their CINNAMON ROLLS. (See top picture.)
There are TWO included in ONE SIDE. 
THAT is how you treat a customer well. 

We napped...because I needed it.
And then ended the evening by attending Kelly's sketch musical comedy show at Second City. 
We then drove back and made it home in 1 hr and 40 minutes...because that is how long it SHOULD take without heavy traffic. (Not 3 hours.)

Monday was a little tough to get through, but we made it.
AND THEN I woke up with a serious migraine on Tuesday morning.
The headache/nausea kept me in bed until 2 pm.
I talked to TWO people who also experienced migraines yesterday. 
Definitely allergies.
Weird.
I feel like I will never fully understand allergies/sinuses/migraines.

And tonight I secured a nannying job! 
Just something a little part-time because I feel bad for not making ANY money. 
A 4-year-old and a 1-year-old. 
Precious!
Their parents seem lovely too.

My Journal Article presentation was crossed off today! (see below)
Little by little!
I don't have it on the list, but I'm currently applying to/interviewing with practicum sites for THE WHOLE NEXT YEAR.
I'm aiming for 3 populations: community art center/nursing home/oncology unit. 
Spring/Summer/Fall.
I'm just going to plunge through all of that and not put it on the list.

Speaking of which, I'm going to go work on my resume....

CATE
journal article review & presentation (Wednesday, 2 pages)
- career intervention & poster (Nov. 13, 5 pages)
my life, my plan reflection paper (Nov. 20, 6 pages)
- career assessment, reflection & synthesis (Dec. 4, 6 pages)

EMILY
- psychotherapy/counseling draft (Nov. 14)
- psychotherapy/counseling paper (Dec. 12, 8-10 pages)
- painting (Dec. 12)

CHRIS
- materials draft
- materials paper (Dec. 4, 8-10 pages)

BRUCE
-media presentation (Nov. 18)


1 comment: