Sunday, September 1, 2013

MAM


I'm in love with the Milwaukee Art Museum.

Doesn't this picture look amazing? 
We visited the MAM (Milwaukee Art Museum) for the first time yesterday afternoon.
What an AMAZING collection they have.
They have this current show called "30 Americans" and it was AWESOME. 
It included a piece by Kara Walker, who I wrote a 6 page paper on for Women in Art History at Bethel, which I then used for my graduate school application.
I attribute my acceptance to Kara Walker. (Not really.)
I kind of want to go back and take it all in again.
That's the problem with art museums. 
So much visual stimulation.
It's exhausting. 

There's also a Harley-Davidson festival/celebration going on in MKE this weekend, so they were expecting about 100,000 people to show up for that.
The Harley-Davidson Museum is in MKE, if you didn't know. 
It's like Sturgis right now...only in a large city.
Lots of cycles running around.

This morning we packed up some potato salad and some pork (for grilling) to take to our church's end of summer worship service and picnic at Pike Lake State Park. 
It was gorgeous out there.
I would have taken my camera, but I realized that the charger is at home (in SD). 
We'll have to go back to camp sometime.
They had Starbucks coffee and breakfast pastries waiting for us (they're the best). 
I don't think I've mentioned how cool our church is. 
Mostly couples with small-ish children.
A lot of children.
Like half of our church is children. 
And did you know we don't have a pastor?
We're self-led and worship services tend to involve a lot of congregational participation.
It's been pretty interesting to see how it works.
And we meet at 4 pm at a Lutheran Church on Sundays because our church isn't quite big enough to have their own building, but the sanctuary is beautiful. :)
So we had a good time getting to know our church a little more this morning.
Still working on names.

So now we're back home and I'm taking a break from reading.
Lots of reading, but some really great stuff.
I went through all of my syllabi and wrote important dates in my planner (a beloved habit of mine ever since I've been given syllabi and a planner) and it looks like I will be reading, writing and making art A LOT this semester...I guess for the next 2 years. 
No finals, one mid-term exam, a lot of papers and projects. 

So if I don't have time for blogging, please understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment