Monday, September 30, 2013

coffee, chicago, volcanoes



Ohmygoodness!
Look how beautiful Milwaukee is getting!
I am in an exceptionally good mood because I just got back from class where I turned my first big grad school paper in.
I was also the FIRST person (out of 15) to give their 5 minute presentations to the class.
I am realizing that I can definitely be a "let me do something first so there's nothing to compare it to" kind of person. 
Not all of the time, but definitely today.
It went really well. 
I wowed the class by using my Spanish abilities, and people said I set the bar high. 
Good to hear. 

Now THAT'S over and I can move on with my life (and other homework).
October will be a busy month. 
- PTSD/Veterans Issues workshop this weekend
- Laurie's wedding in Michigan next weekend
- Color Run on Oct. 19 (why yes I did convince Ben to run it with me. His FIRST OFFICIAL 5-K EVER!!!)
- Halloween, I guess? 
- Volunteer work at Islands of Brilliance starts
- Illinois AT Conference in Chicago
- and homework all over the place


So I finished my paper up on Friday morning and then we drove down to Chicago to pick up Brad from Union Station.
Ben drove down (he's a hero) and I drove back (when traffic was not as insane).
Meredith and Matt met us there and we all hung out for the evening.
Got coffee, wandered around a park, ate at a POUTINE restaurant (fries with gravy and cheese curds on top. SO GOOD!) and then checked out one of their favorite bars.

On Saturday morning we took Brad to Colectivo and then out to the watchtower at Lapham Peak. 
Afterwards we drove around MKE a little and then ate lunch at McBob's, where we of course got the best ruebens in town. 
Went back to the house to relax and watch TV (while I worked on homework).


For supper we went to Espana Tapas House, only 2 blocks from the Pabst Theatre where the Volcano Choir concert was (the real reason Brad came to visit us). 
Food was fabulous. 
The concert was fabulous.


By the way, Pabst Theatre is GORGEOUS.

Sunday morning we walked the few simple blocks to Rocket Baby Bakery for coffee and pasteries.
Then we took Brad to the train station (in MKE) so he could catch the train down to Chicago (for his other train ride).

And then I realized I had more homework to do.
I'm doing a 7 Day Art Experiment with coffee.
We can choose whatever we want, but I chose coffee.
Because of course I would choose coffee.
And we just have to use it in a different way every day for 7 days, and write about it from a "phenomenological perspective."
Lots of fun. (Not even sarcastic. Seriously)


So I'm a little tired, 
but I'm going to make some coffee (to drink),
do some homework,
go for a run (because exercise actually wakes me up even better than coffee),
and just enjoy my beautiful Wisconsin fall day. 




No comments:

Post a Comment