Wednesday, December 12, 2012

sobering night









Lots of bizarre feelings going on in my head at the moment.

Around 4:00 pm I went downstairs to HR for an exit interview.  I found out that we had a new policy that states if you've been working for the center for less than 2 years you won't be paid back your Paid Time Off hours. They just made this change 2 months ago...and didn't bother to remind me. 
So I asked my supervisor if it would be ok that I leave after the Christmas luncheon on Friday because I still have 18 HOURS of PTO left. 
She didn't even know about the policy change and was a little upset that HR hadn't notified me sooner. 
She told me I should just take the next 2 days off. :)
OK.
That means...I'm done. Surprise last day. 
It felt very, very weird because it did not feel official at all, but a very pleasing surprise none-the-less.
I'm going back in for the Christmas luncheon on Friday, and to return my badge. 

So I returned home feeling strange. I didn't really know what to do with myself, so I went off to buy some more fabric for the quilt (seen above) and pick up a few Christmas gift items.

To top off the evening I received some ferociously sad news via Facebook. A Freeman High School student committed suicide today and that kind of event never fails to shake a small town. You don't have to know anyone too well to feel the effects. 
Unfortunately, it's the son of a family friend and the step-son of my high school vocal teacher, wonderful people who are on our wedding guest list. Amy has been a huge support in my life. Always motivating me and instilling ridiculous amounts of confidence in me, including giving me the lead role in my senior year musical.
Any thoughts, prayers and good vibes you'd like to direct towards the Hofer Vetch family would be most welcome. Christmas is going to be hard for them this year.

So after this emotionally jarring day, I am simultaneously confused, shocked, sad, and excited for the future. 
Got to keep moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment