Tuesday, August 27, 2013

birthday, round II



This post is very stream of thought, so hopefully you can follow.

Combination birthday/first day of grad school was a success!
I made my very favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe and took them to my one and only class for the day.
I felt really comfortable at school with my professor and classmates.
Not as nervous as the other ladies (yes, all ladies. no men) appeared to be.
Although I AM 26, and most of the others are fresh out of their bachelors degree so I kind of feel like the veteran in the class.
I felt like there was no reason to be nervous.
Dr. Moon was sooo nice.
And there were only 14 other students in my class, which is NOTHING compared to the oh-so-intimidating 200+ at FSU.
Dr. Moon also told us that we were the top 30 chosen out of 110 applications.
Nothing like a strong compliment to encourage you on your first day of grad school.

Also, Mount Mary has a Week of Welcome just like Bethel.
Part of that meant that they had free coffee available in the parking lot when I arrived.
I keep finding more and more reasons to love this school.

We really didn't do anything too epic to celebrate that afternoon because we were both exhausted
I don't think I've mentioned that we don't have air conditioning and it's been a little warm recently, leaving good, cool, restful sleeping to be desired.
It should improve soon.
I slept better last night already.
And I guess it's pretty exciting to have your first 3-hour-long grad school class, so I'm sure it took a little out of me.

Not just a random Frida painting. This is at BelAir Cantina. And I love Frida.
I'm so glad Ben didn't have to work on my birthday.
We watched Orange is the New Black on Netflix, ate cookies, played Scrabble and then went over to BelAir Cantina for tacos and margaritas.
We Skyped Tom & Paula that evening and it was nice to catch up with them and the puppies.
It wasn't the most exciting day, but Labor Day weekend is coming up so maybe we can do something a little more special to celebrate.


Last Saturday we didn't end up going to Lakefront Brewery, but we DID go to Milwaukee Brewing Co. for their 5-7 pm open house tasting.
AND we went to Purple Door Ice Cream.
I had chai ice cream. 
Ben had absinthe ice cream.
AMAZING!
AND we went for a fancy supper at The Noble. 
AND we RANDOMLY saw my second cousin Cathy Schmeichel AT the MKE Brewing open house.
AND she then she got engaged yesterday. 
On my birthday! 
(Forgot about that. So that kind of made it an exciting birthday.)

Not to mention my social security card came in the mail so I'm officially Susan Lynn Schmeichel Harder!
Harder being the last name, Schmeichel moving to middle name status (in case you forgot).
For the convenience of our future children, or pets.

(SIDE NOTE: Getting very annoying legal documents changed, filed, fixed, etc. is VERY exciting when you move because it is ONE MORE THING that you no longer have to worry about.)

And today I FINALLY dragged my sorry self down to the DMV and got a Wisconsin driver's license, registration and new plates for my car! 
It only took an hour.

Goodbye, silly Florida plates. 

1 comment:

  1. Yay for just paying some money to get a WI driver's license! Oregon and Minnesota should do the same instead of making us take the test (along with forking over the dough).

    ReplyDelete