Thursday, August 1, 2013

salted caramel



I drove to Hesston for my haircut yesterday.
It was lovely.
My hair is still long but MUCH more thinned out and layered, making it MUCH more manageable. 
It is sooooooooo thick if it's all one length. 
The hair salon was located right next to the Lincoln Perk (Hesston's coffee shop), which is now owned by my friend, Holly. 
Holly used to own the coffee shop in Newton, Pages. 
She sold it, started an ice cream business with a friend (the Salted Creamery) and was then approached about buying the Perk by the old owner back in January.
She now has a great place to make and sell her ice cream. 
She also has this great little venture she's asked me to add some drawings to called "The Artist's Circus", which is basically a smaller version of a gallery for smaller versions of local artists' wares.
There are small ceramic bowls, tiny sculptures, embroidered hand towels, soaps and lotions, etc. 
So instead of selling a huge, framed painting or drawing I'll be taking her some 4x6 sketches. 
She said that she sells everything pretty quickly because they're small and priced pretty low in comparison to larger works of art.
So back to the ice cream...
I actually bought strawberry sorbet and not salted caramel, but that was the kind I WANTED to try.
The sorbet came in pint size and the caramel came in quart. 
I was not ready to make that kind of commitment to so much ice cream, so I went with the sorbet.
It turns out my friends are having Salted Creamery ice cream at their wedding this Saturday, so I'm banking on some salted caramel.
I also bought a dark, smoky iced coffee.
Ben and I then proceeded to lay around the pool alllllllllll afternoon.
The sun was quite lethal yesterday so we're definitely tanned/burned. 
Last night a bunch of Harders and a few Stuckys came over for supper.

Today I'm meeting a good old Bethel friend for lunch in Newton.
Then we're meeting another good old Bethel friend for drinks in Newton this evening. 
Between all of that I'll be drawing and swimming with buddies. 

P.S. Just found out from my wonderful friend Taylor, who's starting her 2nd year of MVS in Madison, WI, that the Milwaukee Mennonite Church and the Madison Mennonite Church are having a joint potluck/gathering in a few weeks. Neighbors!

No comments:

Post a Comment