Thursday, March 28, 2013

the south




I was coming home from my yearly check-up at the doctor and I heard an interesting story being discussed on Talk of the Nation. They were talking about what it means to be a Southerner and Tracy Thompson's new book called "The New Mind of the South". Listen to the interview if you're interested. A guy from Tallahassee actually called in to talk about what it meant for him as an African American. It just got me thinking that I really am in "the South" and now I know a little bit more about what it means to live here, and how excited and grateful I am for that. I feel so much more authentic. When I found out we were moving to Tallahassee I remember picturing "beaches" and not so much "the South". Obviously I figured that out, but who knows until you experience it?

The reason I'm getting all sentimental is because I just had my doctor's appointment and was reminded that I LOVE my doctor. 
How did I get so lucky finding such an awesome lady? 
She congratulated me for everything that is coming up and even gave me a hug goodbye and told me to call if I needed anything. 

I have 3 exams within the next week. 
Didn't actually see that coming.
All the excitement is making me delusional. 
I hope that having all of these tests NOW frees up some time when Emily and Dorothy come down for Ben's recital on April 13. 
I also stopped at Lucy and Leo's for cupcakes. 
It just felt right.
Even though I'll be getting my sweet fix when I try to make paska this weekend for our Easter Potluck with friends. 
Paska = Easter bread.

It's slowly warming up around here. 
Did you hear our March temps are crazy lower than our January temps? 
Watch the video about "Marchuary" in the Southeast HERE.

Ok.
Still procrastinating.
Family Relationships test tomorrow.
Being tested on topics like: how the United States has some of the worst maternity/paternity leave benefits in the world. 
Why should that make me want to have kids?
Back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment