Thursday, January 17, 2013

overexposure




I just returned from a fulfilling lunch with one of my old co-workers and her 11 week-old at Wild Greens Cafe
I had tomato basil soup, kale and potato quiche and a side salad.
They also bring you complimentary sweet potato biscuits. SO GOOD.
It's right down the street from All Saints Cafe, so I stopped in for THE BEST chai tea latte in Tallahassee. (My opinion.)

I'm struggling to get back to Personality reading right now because I've had a dull sinus headache since I woke up this morning.
Coffee and ibuprofen have not done the trick just yet, which is sad times.
But it is a beautiful, cool, windy and sunny day outside, so I'm about to get back on track. 

I've found that the great/not-so-great thing about taking 3 psychology courses at once is that a lot of topics cross over.
This is actually very helpful because I am getting some semi-unfamiliar concepts drilled into me. 
This is also not so helpful because I don't always need to have semi-unfamiliar concepts drilled into me. 
I've had the "correlation does not equal causation" talk 3 times now. 
Research methods. 
Psychodynamic theory. 
Behaviorism.
Reliability/Validity.
And on and on. 
But I think there will just be a high concentration of it at the beginning of the semester. 

I've had enough class that I can now safely say:

- I love, love, LOVE Abnormal Psychology. I even love reading the textbook. My teacher is not awesome, but because I enjoy it so much I don't even care. A challenging, interesting course to say the least.

- My Family Relationships: A Life Span Development Approach course is basically the state school version of Bethel's Human Sexuality course, meaning Larry Friesen and Ada Schmidt-Tieszen already taught me this stuff, only way more in-depth. LOTS of review on gender and societal relationships. The professor just had a baby 4 weeks ago, so she yawns a lot in class; not getting so much sleep with a newborn. 

- Personality Psychology is kind of 'eh' for me right now. The textbook is not very interesting. I think it's because we're very focused on JUST talking about personality. Hopefully the subject matter will open up a little more as the semester goes on. The teacher does a pretty good job of keeping my attention. His lecture style is very relaxed and tries to make it more discussion-oriented (at least the best kind of discussion you can have with 200+ people). Good information, although I'll have to work hard to stay focused.

- General Psychology is being taught by a clinical psychology doctoral candidate from Northwestern...and she's pretty willing to tell you she went there, and that she's a nerd. So basically, she might try to make this course harder than it needs to be just so she can prove herself, but I actually want to touch base with her at some point because she loves Chicago and we'd probably get along pretty well. I also think she does a really great job with her lectures. 

3 day weekend is almost here!

No comments:

Post a Comment