Wednesday, January 30, 2013

anxiety, grades and visual learning

ANXIETY
We're starting to talk about anxiety and bipolar disorders in Ab Psych!
Finally something a little more interesting than research methods.
Of all the mental disorders I'd say that anxiety is the nearest and dearest to my heart (so far).
I don't have an anxiety disorder (yet), but I am an anxious person, so I can relate to it better than most other disorders.
Speaking of which, I was invited to (possibly) participate in an anxiety disorder study.
I didn't get into the stress management study. :(
I wasn't stressed enough.
Seriously.
I did a brief eligibility survey when I arrived for the study and I did not meet the criteria for the study.
But they DID give me 0.5 credits for taking the survey.
5.5 more credits to go.
They were looking for people with stress that more seriously disrupted their functioning. 
Stress has never stopped me from doing things.
I probably just have a normal stress level.
Maybe I'll have enough anxiety for them to want to study it.
If not, they'll probably give me another 0.5 credits.

GRADES
I won't always tell you my grades (because they probably won't always be decent), but I got a 90% on my Ab Psych test!
It's just barely an 'A' (No 'A-' in this class. 'A' is 90-100%), but I felt even better about it when we were told that the class average was a 77%.
I think my studying will be a little more efficient the second time around, so hopefully I can keep the 'A' trend going.
We don't have our Personality grades yet, but the professor said we really "killed it" (the scores were really good).

VISUAL LEARNING
Gen Psych test coming up on Monday. At least it's just ONE test to prepare for.
I don't think I've mentioned that I don't really have homework.
I go to class, I read, I take tests and sometimes I get extra credit opportunities.
This is kind of detrimental for my student personality.
I'm a strong visual, experiential and repetitive learner.
(I like pictures, I like hands on, and I need to repeat it in some format to learn it (unless I'm fascinated by it).
So I kind of have to make myself take notes or draw pictures/visual reminders while I read, otherwise I'll forget the important stuff (which is really inefficient of me).
My hand really gets a workout between note taking while I read and note taking in class.
I am also quickly running out of pages in my 5 subject notebook (after only 3.5 weeks).
I am also sucking all of our fancy G2 ink pens dry.
I am also jealous of Ben because he is a fantastic aural learner.
If he hears it and he wants to  remember it, he does (for the most part).

Wow, it has come down to writing about how I learn.
I bet you're all enthralled.
Good time to stop.

P.S. Here is a really interesting article that Ben had me read about mental health, basketball player Royce White, and the NBA: Click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment